Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Rainbow Poster

In a school district in San Leandro, they're beginning to make it mandatory to teach everyone from kindergarten to high school to learn about homosexuality. We're talking about 5 year-olds learning about 'being different'. Needless to say, many people are outraged, especially the parents. and understandly so.

The reasoning behind this new mandate set up by the same people who design the district curriculum is that, around the age of 5 or 6, kids begin to be aware of their sexuality - especially if they think they're DIFFERENT. So, in order to prevent these kids from feeling embarrassed or hurt from such young age, they want to develop a sound, healthy understanding about homosexuality among these kids.

Here's my take. Normally, 5 year-olds don't even learn about sex. Teaching them about homosexuality is like teaching a baby about marathon when the baby can't even walk yet. There's GOT to be a better way to teach these young kids about different sexual orientations.

On a related note, I just can't stand how the society is so caught up in being politically correct. We can't offend ANYBODY these days. I'm not saying we should all be mean and be racist. No, I'm not saying that. I mean, I'm a minority. What I'm saying is that, because we're trying so hard to please everyone, or at least not offend anyone, we lost the sight of that line staying in between right and wrong. It seems like EVERYONE'S right. and nothing is wrong. if one claims that one thing is more right than another, then THAT'S wrong. that's the only thing wrong in today's society. it's like "oh that's cool. you're right in your own way and I'm right in my own way." There are no absolute right's and wrong's. and I say that's bullsh*t.

Going back to the issue at hand... I don't know how I should feel about this. I certainly don't want my future 5 year-old kids coming to me and asking me, "what's gay and lesbian?". but I don't want them to be rude and judgmental towards gays and lesbians either. where do you draw the line?

I have this tiny fear in my heart that, one day, there's gonna be so many gays and lesbians that people are gonna start thinking that we're evolving that way. that it's a part of the evolution.

sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home