Saturday, December 03, 2005

I used to super-competitive. Especially in high school. Academically, athletically, musically, etc. When I got my first B in high school in 11th grade, I couldn't sleep for days. Then after coming to Cal, I lost a lot of that competitiveness. I was no longer super ambitious, and I no longer really have any materialistic goals that I used to have - like, owning a mansion, etc.

Recently, I began to wonder why. Why did I really change? Well, first, I was humbled. I ain't 'the shit' that I used to think I was. There are always - ALWAYS - someone smarter and better than you. And I guess that kinda slowly brought my confidence down. Secondly, I think I was being competitive and all that for all the wrong reasons. I was trying to please my parents, keep my reputation up as the smart guy, etc. Basically, I was doing it for other people - not really for myself. Making other people proud and happy made me happy. And this is still true most of the time. But I am trying SO hard these days not to do this anymore. No more people-pleaser. No more facade basically. And so when I realized that I had all these wrong reasons, I lost motivation to be competitive.

And then there's the most important reason... I no longer had to be an over-achiever to be happy. All that matters to me now is the message of the Gospel. Getting a great SAT score, great GPA, getting into the 2nd best school in the world, and getting a job didn't make me half as happy as knowing that God loves me even though I'm an ass. Haha..kinda crudely put, but I think it says it the best. God loves me no matter what. God loves me the same even if I screw up. God loves me unconditionally. God loves me. Damn, just saying these words make me feel better already.

I know my youth will go (already facing mid 20's...). I know this world will go. Nothing I do in this world will give me the security I have in God's love. I think this is why I'm not the super-competitive guy I used to be.

Now, I'm facing a huge challenge to filter out the bad competitiveness and keep only the good kind. The kind that motivates me to work hard and use the talent that God gave me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God's love is amazing

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home