Tuesday, November 01, 2005

It's been exactly 3 months since I started work. For those who might be interested, I am a global IT analyst for Chevron. In a nutshell, my team (Software Delivery Infrastructure) maintains the global infrastructure for distributing software to 60,000+ servers/workstations throughout 180 different countries. Of course, there are more to it than this, but that's the most important and basic function of our team. It's kind of like Comcast's on-demand for TV programs/movies, except it's on-demand software. To be able to do this seamlessly all around the globe isn't as easy and simple as it might sound.

Today during our team meeting a topic came up about getting our new contractor who's joining our team from next week a new chair, new monitors, and all that good stuff. And my coworker, who started about a month after me, and I thought that we could probably use new monitors too because we've been using old CRT monitors. And we decided to ask our supervisor for TWO monitors each. I felt really bad...because it'll cost a lot of money. I was almost embarassed to ask, but I did anyway. He gave me that look - the 'what the hell you smoking' look - but said yes anyway. I know I'll be one happy and motivated employee when I get my two 19-inch LCD monitors set up on my desk, but until then, I will be feeling very bad. Especially because my boss has been very very generous in sending me to classes and business trips (including one in Denver and one in Houston) that cost thousands of dollars. All in the first quarter year of my employment. I guess I better work hard and show him that I'm worth all the investment.

My workstation is gonna be pimp..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home