Tuesday, October 11, 2005

My throat is killing me...

Day 1 [part II]

So I checked into my hostel. I had booked a bed in a room for 6 people the night before. So I expected a room for 6 people. Instead, I got a room for 2 people. With 6 beds. -_- After barely fitting my backpack into my locker (which cost me 3 pounds a night - thats like 6 bucks!), I put on my day-backpack (the small front portion of my big backpack that's detachable and designed for a day outing during my trip - pretty girly actually), and was about to head out to the city of London. That's when whats-her-name came into the room. Whats-her-name was from Toronto, and was staying in the same room. No, she wasn't 'hot', but she was hella athletic-looking - I found out later that she played basketball as undergrad at Univeristy of Toronto, and she's now a med student at some Canadian university. She had been in London for about a week by then, and so she kindly informed me about where to go sightseeing and stuff. She even gave me her bus pass for that night. My first destination was Soho/Chinatown/Leicester Square! Whoo hoo!!

I seriously loved London. Beautiful. Clean. People speak English! and yet so european at the same time. After walking around for over an hour, I found myself on the Mall Street, which is a long stretch of dirt road that leads to the coveted Buckingham Palace. Excitement! I was really there!! But the sun was already starting to set, and it was getting dark. And I got scared like a little pansy. So I decided to go back to my hostel. But I was gonna go back to really see it the next day for sure.

On my way back, I got lost -_- I think I was in the middle of chinatown cuz I saw a lot of chinese restaurants. I had to ask some kind-looking British woman for direction. Gosh you gotta love that British accent! Anyways, I got hungry, but I refused to eat chinese food in London. I wanted to eat English food! but I ended up going into an all-you-can -eat pizza place. I saw the price on the window - L 6.99 - oh ho not baaad. oh wait a minute, that's like 14 bucks! crap. by the time I realized this, I was already seated and had already ordered a beer. Another 3 pounds. CRAP! But I was so hungry and determined to eat a LOT. after all, it was a buffet. And the first slice of pizza i grabbed was seriously the best slice of pizza I've ever had. I no longer regretted spending 20 bucks for pizza. And then I began to regret again after I realized that they were no longer making that particular pizza - only pepperoni and cheese.

I hopped on a bus - one of those famous 2 story ones - to go back to my hostel. I wasn't sure where to get off tho. Following my instinct, I got off at this one stop, and ended up walking for 35 minutes to finally get back to my hostel.

What a day it was. First day in Europe. All by myself. Tomorrow - Buckingham Palace and the guards, the London Eye, and perhaps a musical? Jeaahh.


*Happy 22nd birthday to my boy Will. You've been a special friend ever since I told you about my crush in 9th grade.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

england is freakin expensive.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home