Monday, October 10, 2005

I'm back. After 4 months of actual contents (which includes very few mega hits), and 5 months of hibernation, I am back.

To summarize what I've been doing the past 5 months:

1. I graduated on May 21. Which means I passed all my classes. whew.
2. I went backpacking to Europe for 20 days.
3. I visited the East coast (NY and DC).
4. I started work.
5. I got a girlfriend.
6. I gained weight. (I don't know exactly how much, but I'm pretty dam sure I gained more than 10 pounds)

Naw, I'm just kidding on #5. That probably caused a few gasps.

I wonder if I still can recall each day of my Europe trip... because for the next 20 days, I'll be writing about it - one day at a time. No, I'm not slacking off at work. I'm using my lunch time. I just won't tell you how much lunch time I'm allowing myself.

And so the adventure begins..


DAY 1
[part I]

I graduated on May 21. All the post-graduation parties/receptions followed during the week after. Then I moved out of Berkeley on May 27 and came back home in Socal. And I was on my flight to Heathrow, London on the 28th. As you can imagine, it was a very hectic week for me. But I, being a super efficient and organized guy that I am, managed to upload all my MP3s to my new iPod Mini the night before I took off. And almost forgot to take my toothbrush.

The flight was not bad at all. I flew with American Airlines. It must have been a pretty new plane because everyone had a LCD screen in front of them. I watched "In Good Company" and "Are we there yet?". And I was SO tired from the busiest week of my life, so I slept about half the flight. When I woke up, there was less than an hour left. I was happy because I didn't have to deal with the boredom. That's when I realized that I still have never even looked at the map of London, let alone the direction to my hostel. *Ding* The seat belt sign came on. "We'll be landing soon, blah blah" followed. I began to panic. I realized that, until that moment, I haven't fully comprehended what I was about to do - travelling in foregin countries BY MYSELF for a week (before meeting up with my friends). This explained why I wasn't all that excited or nervous about the trip until that moment. I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS GETTING MYSELF INTO.

I landed in Heathrow. It was like any other airports I've been to. Big and full of people. Everyone still spoke English there so it didn't feel all that foreign. Except when I went to the Info desk and asked some questions, they answered very politely and called me "mate". I picked up a city map and the 'Tube' map. The Tube is their subway system. Kind of like our 'BART'. I found my way to the tube station and I finally got on a train to head towards my hostel - which was around the Queens stop, right next to the Hyde Park. Sure, I knew where I was going. I put the earphones in my ears, started playing Nell, put the biggest backpack I've ever seen on my back, and leaned against a pole inside the train. I felt sexy. I was finally here in Europe, by myself, about to conquer it all. It couldn't get any sexier. I couldn't be any sexier.

After I got off the train and finally came out of the underground, I realized I had no idea where I was going. The street signs in London were not as clear as they are here. It seemed as if every street is named WC2. If you have ever been to London before, you probably know what I'm talking about. So I just followed my instinct and went one way. 15 minutes later, I turned around to go the other way.

Then, my iPod battery ran out. -____-

Not feeling so sexy anymore, I was wondering around looking for my hostel looking like a nerd (you know, a book in one hand and squinting my eyes to look at the street names everywhere). Then I accidentally found my hostel. It was accidental because I just went into some random street from the big street I was on to buy a bottle of water from a store and the hostel was right across from it. Oh how wonderful God is! Making me thirsty so that I could find my hostel.


(This post is getting hella long..and I really need to get back to work.. so I added the "part I")

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha when i saw the girlfriend part... good one

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home